Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I've figured out the Dutch High Performance System

Okay. So, the rest of my family arrived today to prepare for their roles as team Canada's cheer squad. Or at least a part of it.

Early this morning Mangey and I went back out to "the woods" near Appelscha for a ride before we had to go to leeuwarden to pick up the boys. We managed to hit up a fantastic little trail network that... well for the first time this trip actually incorporated some actual incline. Nothing big, but at some points I think I may have been @ or just above sea level at the top of some of the "and hills". I almost fainted from the change in oxygen and atmospheric pressure. Must be all that living at -3m below sea level.... I'm thinking not a good country to invest in with Global Warming and all. But good to invest in their pastries... they are KILLER AWESOME.

I still feel great. A little more zip in the legs everyride, and it the bikes are working perfect.

After are ride we had to head into Leeuwarde to the Train-station. The boys landed in Amsterdam early that morning, and were expected at the station around 1pm. No prob. Except we didn't actually know where the station was. And, one would think that a train station would have signs leading to the train-station that say something like "Train Station.... or Train.... or Railway". I mean, how different could it be in dutch? However, we didn't find any such signs, but instead noticed a heavy prevalence of signs that said P+R and included directions arrows. Our high-tech female intuition told us to follow those signs. Sure enough - they got us to the train station - after about 6.5 right-hand turns in a row. I'm not sure what P+R means yet. It's probably really simple like "public railway" or something... railway... peekaboo railway. I dunno. But if you need me to pick you up from there I can do it now. O yeah, look at all the bikes... what a cool world!!



So then it was time to give the boys a tour of our bungalo and area. We went to go introduce them to Tim and the other Canadians, but there is a SWEET playground along the way. So Sweet, that I have figured out to detail the Dutch High performance training system. First Clue - all the bikes... everywhere. All the bike paths, and trails, and bike friendly place. All the little kids on bikes, biking from school n'such. They start them young, and then mold them into efficient little "bike everywhere" machines. How better to create the best riders, then to farm from a world of riders. Second Clue - there dang playgrounds. These things are crazy. Designed for little dutchians, but based on the German Gymnastics program. I've got a couple clips below of some favorite playground items at this particular "Training" playground. But I'm not gonna lie, most of the other equipment was too scary and gravity defying for us to try with confidence. The monkeybars were like 15feet off the ground... for a 4ft five year old that's a good 8-9ft of falling. Unless your from here, then that's fun. WEEEEEE. But seriously - AWESOME PLAYGOUND. It was a perfect alternative for some cross training. Agility, core, grip strength.






How can you not love this. I want one of these to own. I would have the coolest house on the block. A perfect way to settle disputes between roommates.



Other than eating Sugar Waffels (new found favorite) - and mini stroopwaffle (THEY COME IN MINIS!!!!) - The day is made up of good riding, some occasional sunshine, and a lot of rain. Oh, and Euro-Sport Live television. Something other than hockey. Umm Everything but hockey to be exact.

Tomorrow were gonna aim for a longer ride. Prob about the 3-4hr mark on the trails. Have some Pannakokgen, and then head to Gronnigen. It's got some buildings from the 1600s. That's what Tim says anyway. So, stay tuned!


P.S

Thanx for the emails and msgs of support. They make my day! I wish you were here too Grandpa J!!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I love the Blog - really makes me laugh. Glad that you're having so much fun!!!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper, I am really hoping you get over that cold soon. I will be thinking of you on the big day and checking the blog often to see how you made out. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete