Sunday, January 25, 2009

Back to the Netherlands

Wooah! One more week till worlds. Today we travelled back into the Netherlands, just a short while from the border of Belgium. One our way we stopped at the Canadian monument outside of Ieper, the plaque on the side commemorated the 18000 Canadian troops that stood on the British left and took the first German gas attacks. I’m not particularly in favour or against the wars of today and way back when, but it’s pretty cool for me to be able to bring my bike here as a Canadian, and compete on the same race course among multiple nationalities without being scared for my life. So it was a good stop!




I meet up with the rest of the team on the 28th, and until then will be hanging at another bungalow in a little village called Hoever. It’s pretty much smack dab in the middle of Roosendal and Breda. It’s about 30km from Hoogerheide. Other than fighting off a potential cold, I’m not sure what to expect this week, but the plan to explore some nearby little towns via bike.... and try and figure out how to appropriately place these into my pre-race meals (picture below). This was a pannekoek (pancake) and waffle shop with pretty much any topping combo you could think up; Including ice-creams and fresh berries. I had pannekoek with banana and a little bit of chocolate sauce. mmmmmm


This stick dude is by the pannekoek house.... clearly and indication that pannekoek and cyclists are a good mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment