Saturday, January 17, 2009

Huge bike shops



So, my first official day of Tourist activity.



We ventured Into the city of leeuwarden just a short 10min drive from our bungalow. I need a 10sp spacer cuz i misplaced mine (dang). We managed to find a bike shop. Got verbal directions from Tim, but pretty much just drove around till we found it by accident. The place was called, Jan Terpstra - which is apparently a big deal, and also the Team that Tim, Andrew, and Brian have association with. BIG STORE! Wow, this place gives the new RVC in Edmonton a run for its money. Some fancy bike brands I haven't even heard of before, and styles of bikes that clearly identify the importance of cycling as form of transportation. There techs are not in the weekends, and the sales dude admitted he knew nothing, so we browsed and left without a spacer.. no big.

BTW - im supposed to bring back a cycling hat for Tracy - anyone know a good one I should keep my eyes open for?

Im getting used to the driving. Rip'n our sweet ford minivan around like it's one of these things....



After Leeuwarden we drove to Drachten, found a cool strip mall thing at ate a little deli. I had no honest idea what I ordered, but it was amazing. Mangey opted for a veggie sandwich, she felt safer that way. Again, im blown away by the number of bikes there are here. It's like they built the bike path networks, and then built the streets, and buildings around them. So Cool! It's perfect for the cycling tourist. Jump on your bike in the morning, start riding in any direction, and enjoy the scenery. There are little towns and villages every 8-15km, and lots of bakeries.


Apparently my race tomorrow is just under an hours drive from our place. We are heading over to Tim's shortly to get the logistical lowdown. I'm wondering if the local races will resemble the races in Alberta, or if they still hold that fantasy euro flare. I cant wait to rub some more elbows tomorrow, and hopefully I'll rock more pics for the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment